GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Administrative and professional position responsible for overseeing the operations of the Town’s law enforcement agency, including patrol detective, criminal intelligence, identification, communications and other related activities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, supervise and evaluate the activities of Police Department personnel. This includes the recruitment, training, disciplinary actions of officers and other department personnel.
- Participate in the development of goals, law enforcement programs, objectives, policies and priorities for the department to ensure that the Police Department operates effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluate evidence, witnesses and suspects in criminal cases to correlate all aspects and to assess for trends, similarities, or for associations with other cases and direct the investigation of major crime scenes.
- Coordinate the preparation and presentation of annual budget for the Department. Direct the implementation of the department’s budget.
- Plan for and review specifications for new or replaced equipment.
- Direct the development and maintenance of systems, records and legal documents that provide for the proper evaluation, control and documentation of police department operations.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports to the City Manager regarding the Department’s activities. Prepare a variety of other reports as appropriate.
- Meet with elected or appointed officials, other law enforcement officials, community and business representatives and the public on all aspects of the Department’s activities
- Assist in civil defense and preparedness activities.
Bachelor’s degree in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice, public administration or closely related field and seven (7) years of experience in police work, including at least five (5) years in a responsible management capacity; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Completion of basic law enforcement training academy or equivalent.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS.
Valid Florida Driver’s License
State of Florida Law Enforcement Certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of State laws and other applicable laws ordinances and regulations
- Knowledge of or ability to become knowledgeable of the area, residents and businesses within the jurisdiction of the Department
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional effective working relationship with associates and to interact with all levels of employees, City officials and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional effective working relationship with associates and and to interact with all levels of employees, City officials, and the public.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in decision-making and all phases of responsibilities.
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures and techniques.
- Ability to operate a police car, police radio, radar gun, hand gun, side handle baton, handcuffs, stun gun, police chemical sprays, flashlight, breathalyzer, first aid equipment (NOTE THIS WAS NOT A REQUIREMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER IN HIS/HER JOB DESCRIPTION)
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, e.g. computer, printer, copy machine, telephone, facsimile machines.
- Knowledge and skill in the training and supervision of subordinate personnel.
- Ability to clearly communicate information both verbally and in writing.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB:
- Use of hands to finger, handle feel
- Good vision and hearing; ability to distinguish basic colors; good depth perception
- Ability to periodically walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods
- Requires frequent bending, balancing stooping
- Light lifting and carrying
- Frequent reaching above shoulders and throwing
- Exposure to disagreeable environment factors, such as outside weather conditions, dampness/humidity, heat and cold, noisy and dusty conditions, moving objects and moving vehicles.
- Very frequent exposure to violence, high risk and stressful situations requires physically fit individual due to the frequent possibility of engaging in physical altercations.