Authorized Uses of Proceeds: County and municipal governments may use the tax proceeds for transportation expenditures as defined in s. 336.025(7), F.S. Transportation expenditures are defined to include those expenditures by the local government from local or state-shared revenue sources, excluding expenditures of bond proceeds, for the following programs.
Public transportation operations and maintenance.
Roadway and right-of-way maintenance and equipment and structures used primarily for the storage and maintenance of such equipment.
Roadway and right-of-way drainage.
Street lighting installation, operation, maintenance, and repair. Office of Economic and Demographic Research 220 2018 Local Government Financial Information Handbook
Traffic signs, traffic engineering, signalization, and pavement markings installation, operation, maintenance, and repair.
Bridge maintenance and operation
Debt service and current expenditures for transportation capital projects in the foregoing program areas, including construction or reconstruction of roads and sidewalks. Counties are also authorized to expend the revenues received in conjunction with the state or federal government for joint transportation projects.
Let’s Look at Ben Fry, who is considered Roads/Streets under the Employee Salary and Benefits. With Insurance and salary, we pay $40,678 and he was added without Stacy Tebo bringing it up to the council. It may be said he was previously fired before applying to White Springs which is usual for Stacy Tebo’s management style.
What amazes me is that Stacy never updated any of the Job/position descriptions for any of the employees which is her job. How does she even know what her employees are doing and at times, I fear not a lot. So since there is only one job description provided which includes roads and streets under public works, let’s see what the job functions are.
- Animal control – The only staff who has handled animal control is our police department.
- Enforces Local ordinances – That is not a possibility
- Road Maintenance and Repair All we have had is some sand and gravel placed into potholes and that was previous to our hiring Mr. Fry.
- Right of Way Clearing and Mowing (Since this is part of Street and Roads, whoever does this work can deduct it from our Local Option Fuel Tax revenue, but only for the hours on clearing and mowing the rights of way. Berms do not count!!) CURTIS DOES THIS WORK SO WHY DO WE HAVE FRY?
- Loads and unloads heavy materials from truck (Number one, this could cause a lawsuit if an employee gets hurt. The Job description should stipulate that the employee may have to lift 50 pounds from the ground in the correct position) WE HAVE NO REASON TO LIFT ANYTHING HEAVY UNLESS IT IS CONCRETE OR PATCH FOR ROADWAYS. AND STACY HAS NEVER PROMOTED CURTIS POSSIBLY BECAUSE HE IS AFRICAN AMERICAN AND THE TWO WHITE BOYS HAVE HIM DOING ALL THE GRUNT WORK.
- Reading and recording water meters – THIS IS SOMETHING CURTIS DOES
- Repair water/sewer lines THIS SHOULD BE HANDLED UNDER THE ENTERPRISE ACCOUNT AND SINCE IT IS BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE ROADWAY, IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER LOCAL OPTION FUEL TAX. WE HAVE HAD A SINKHOLE AND HAD TO HIRE ANOTHER OPERATOR/INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR; WE HAD A WATER PROBLEM AT FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH AND RAY VAUGHN AND ANDREW GREEN STOOD AROUND SHOOTING THE BREEZE NEVER FIXING THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW HOW APPARENTLY.
- Supervision of inmate labor First of all, the Inmate crew could either clear and mow the rights of way. We could produce a resolution of proclamations that each person will be responsible for their berms since these berms although owned by the Town are an extension of everyone’s property where vehicles are parked on them, etc. And most people can handle their own berms. If a citizen cannot,or it costs them additional funds, they could contact Town Hall for a staff member to assist them.
- Perform related duties as required.
WE ALSO BOUGHT A PICKUP TRUCK, NOT JUST A USED ONE AT AUCTION BUT A BRAND NEW PICKUP TRUCK WHICH WE CANNOT AFFORD AND IT WAS TO BE USED FOR THE PRISONERS. SINCE THE PRISONERS ARE REASONABLE I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD HANDLE THE RIGHT OF WAY CLEARINGS AND WE PAY A SUPERVISOR FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS HIS OR HER SALARY INCLUDING BENEFITS RATHER THAN HAVING AN EMPLOYEE DO THAT WORK.
WHY DID STACY TEBO SEE FIT TO ALLOW THE GANG OF THREE VOTE IN THE EXCAVATOR AND TRAILER THAT RAY VAUGHN WANTED BUT DID NOT NEED BECAUSE SINCE WE HAVE HAD THE BACKHOE, THAT HASN’T BEEN USED BUT 50 HOURS AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED BOTH PIECES OF EQUIPMENT SHOULD BE SOLD. WE CAN HIRE SOMEONE THROUGH THE COUNTY TO ASSIST US WITH WORK WHICH REQUIRES EITHER A BACKHOE OR EXCAVATOR. THIS IS PROOF POSITIVE THAT STACY TEBO HAS NEVER WATCHED THE BOTTOM LINE AND AS A RESULT WE HAVE TO MAKE CUTS OR BE BANKRUPT.
Again since you find Curtis Johnson working his tail off and you do not see that much work being done by Fry, I think it is time that a new TIME SHEET BE DEVISED, on which the Employee states what work they have been doing hour by hours. That information then could be totaled and a determination could be made whether it is part of the General Fund, Street and Roads or if it gets put back into the Enterprise/.Sewer and Water sector. This is the only way we will know what our employees are doing rather than gabbing at the Hardware store or standing around. And then Stacy Tebo has the Audacity to give everyone a three percent raise. The only people deserving of the raise is the entire police department at this time, until we get our firefighters back.
Fry may no longer have a position with the Town of White Springs because it is not necessary
Curtis Johnson is our Street and Road Person and if he needs assistance since Ray Vaughn’t position may be a maximum of two hours a day, Ray Vaugh can assist Mr. Johnson in some of the Street and Road work if Mr. Johnson needs help. In Turn Mr. Vaughn’s timesheets will reflect that he worked x amount of hours on street and road so salaries are placed in the right areas.
We use inmates and pay a supervisor from the Department of Corrections to handle our Street and Road clearings and rights of way under which such would be paid through Local Option Fuel Taxes
Curtis Johnson would have to continue mowing and up-keeping the area of Town Hall, and helping with general maintenance since I am certain Stacy Tebo will not even change a light bulb. Johnson needs to be promoted and not just work as someone’s support because of his skin color.
Stacy Tebo needs to put together new job descriptions for each employee. Even Yvonne ‘s job description doesn’t show that she is handling the sewer and water input into the computers. And by the way, Stacy Tebo cannot put Yvonne’s salary 100% into sewer and water because, Yvonne is handling administrative work and is not out THERE WITH THE BOYS laying pipe or fixing sewer lines.
Karin Griffin for the blog