This Tiny Florida City May Be The Most Corrupt Place In America
Hampton, Fla., home to a whopping 477 residents, might be the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state in America.Hampton is so dirty it’s in danger of being wiped off the map completely . State lawmakers are seeking to dissolve the one-square-mile city after an audit found serious corruption, The Gainesville Sun reports . The city is also a notorious speed trap.
The tiny city has caught the attention of CNN, which published a detailed explainer about the corruption , and was mocked by Gawker after Hampton’s mayor was arrested for allegedly using and selling the painkller Oxycodone.
Bradford County Sheriff Gordon Smith told The Sun the corruption in Hampton “makes Chicago and Al Capone look like they were a group of Cub Scouts.”
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has opened a criminal investigation that focuses on actions of the city’s clerk, maintenance officer, and its police chief, according to The New York Times .
Here’s what’s allegedly going on in the city to make it so corrupt:
- Hampton’s mayor, Barry Layne Moore, was arrested in November and charged with a second-degree felony for alleged sale and possession of the painkiller Oxycodone . Moore was caught in a sting operation by the sheriff’s office. Florida Gov. Rick Scott then suspended him from office. (CHIEF RODRIQUENZ GAVE STACY TEBO BACK HER PERCOCET OR OXY AND THE TOWN PROTECTED HER FOR USING DRUGS NOT FINDING OUT IF THEY ARE OFF THE STREET OR PRESCRIPTION AND RENEWED HER CONTRACT IN SPITE OF THIS)
- The state found $27,517 in expenditures “for which the City’s records did not clearly demonstrate that a public purpose was served,” according to an audit . Other allegedly mishandled funds include $8,258 in overpayments to the former city clerk and $11,354 of unbilled and uncollected water revenue. (WHITE SPRINGS SPENDS ITS MONEY ON ATTORNEYS WHO DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH THE TOWN; OR WHO HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED BY TOWN COUNCIL; PROVIDE BENEFITS LIKE A VEHICLE AND CREDIT CARD TO AN EMPLOYEE WHO ONLY WORKS TWO HOURS A DAY AT MAX AND CAN USE A VEHICLE FOR PERSONAL USE)
- Hampton apparently had no established rules for how employees were allowed to use city credit cards and charge accounts, and receipts weren’t always retained.( THIS IS A BENEFIT PROVIDED TO ANDREW GREENE AND THERE ARE NO INTERNAL CONTROLS WHEREAS IN BUSINESS ONE HAS TO BE REIMBURSED BASED ON WHAT WAS DONE FOR BUSINESS FOR WHICH AN EXPENSE SHEET MUST BE FILLED OUT)
- Over four years, that audit found the city made purchases totaling $7,845 on a Visa credit card, $18,372 on a Wal-Mart credit card, and a whopping $132,350 on a charge account at a local convenience store.(OUR AUDITOR WILL MAKE CHANGES TO THE AUDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE AND SAY THERE HAVE BEEN NO CHANGES; OUR FINANCE DIRECTOR AND MANAGER WILL USE LOCAL FUEL TAX FUNDS SO AS TO DEFRAUD THE STATE OF FLORIDA, FOR ADMINISTRATION, SALARIES AND ATTORNEY’S FEES)
- The city also didn’t seem to keep close track of its employees. It didn’t have a formal leave policy, but one employee was paid $2,573 in lieu of taking vacation, according to the audit.( WE JUST PAID ONE EMPLOYEE WHO WAS UNABLE TO WORK FOR ALLEGEDLY TWO YEARS LEAVE AND SALARY PLUS MEDICAL INSURANCE. OUR CHIEF OF POLICE MAY HAVE BEEN PAID FOR THE FULL NUMBER OF MONTHS SHE WAS OUT DUE TO A PERSONAL/ NON EMPLOYMENT RELATED ACCIDENT.)
- Hampton appears to have a problem with nepotism, the audit found. The city allegedly paid the former city clerk’s son and daughter for services that were never reported to the IRS, and the city council reappointed a council member’s wife to her position as clerk.
- Hampton reportedly didn’t keep track of the ordinances city council passed .THIS IS WHITE SPRINGS ALSO in keeping ORDINANCES PLUS MUCH NEOPATISM AND CRONYISM._
- Financial record-keeping was allegedly dismal, and city employees reportedly told state auditors records they were looking for got “lost in the swamp” or destroyed in an accident, according to CNN. White Springs financial records may be there but they probably have been used for purposes unacceptable.
- Money for “drug sting operations” was taken from petty cash but not tracked, the audit found. (OUR POLICE MAY NOT TOUCH DEALERS because of official’s alleged use, BUT THE DRUG ENFORCEMENT TASK FORCE FINALLY DID ARREST SOME, BUT NOT ALL)
- The city is also a notorious speed trap near Gainseville. Hampton’s police officers reportedly focused a lot of their time on catching speeders on a small stretch of highway, and the tickets brought in more than $200,000 in revenue in a year, according to the audit . But the city reportedly didn’t keep track of where that money went. (this does not apply to White Springs because we do not have a speed trap but the police are not allowed to arrest anyone who is a friend or relative of White Springs).
WHITE SPRINGS DOES CHARGE THE CITIZENS A 10% UTILITY TAX WITH NO PURPOSE GIVEN
WHITE SPRINGS NO LONGER HAS A FIRE DEPARTMENT TO PROTECT THE CITIZENS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CHARTER
WHITE SPRINGS HAS THE HIGHEST SEWER RATE IN THE AREA BUT WE WE CANT FIX OUR SEWER AND WATER INFRASTRUCTURE.
WHITE SPRINGS DOES NOT ALLOW FOR CITIZENS COMPLAINTS AGAINST THE BILL OF RIGHTS OF THE U. S. BY ORDINANCE EVEN THOUGH PAST ATTORNEY TRIED TO HAVE THAT CHANGED.
COUNCIL WILL NOT LISTEN TO WHAT CITIZENS WANT OR NEED
MONEY IS SPENT IN THE MANNER IN WHICH THE COUNCIL AND TOWN MANAGER WISHES NOT AS FOR HOW THE FUNDS SHOULD ACTUALLY BE USED BY STATUTE OR GRANT REQUESTS.