THIS AMENDMENT TO THE CHARTER PASSED:
- Election of Council members. That Section 2.02 (a) of the Town Charter to be amended to provide that elections for Town Council members be at large for each seat and that each candidate for election designate which seat they are to qualify and run for. Each election shall be by majority vote and in the event no candidate receives a majority for any one seat, a run-off election shall take place between the two candidates receiving the largest number of votes for that seat.
AMENDMENTS TO THE CHARTER WHICH DID NOT PASS:
- TERM OF OFFICE – That Section 2.02 (b) of the Town Charter be amended to provide that each Council member shall be elected to a term of four (4) years.
- Rules and Minutes. That Section 2.05 (a)(2) of the Town Charter be amended to provide for additional procedures as guidelines when conducting regular and special Town Council meetings beyond Robert’s Rules of Order. The Town Council recognizes that Robert’s Rules of Order are not applicable to every procedural matter governing a public official and that other procedural rules consistent with Florida law may be adopted from time to time.
PASSED BUT ARE SUPERFULOUS SINCE THE FOUR YEAR TERM DID NOT PASS:
- Elections. That Section 4.01 of the Town Charter be amended to provide that regular town elections be held on the fourth Tuesday of April in each even number year to accommodate the four-year terms for Council members. Section 4.01 also provides that an election for some seats on the council be held in 2019 to institute the four-year terms.
- Determination of Election Results. That Section 4.06 for the Town Charter be amended to provide for the institution of four year terms by holding elections for seats 2 and 4 on April 23, 2019 with expirations of those terms to be in April of 2022 and holding elections for seats 1, 3 and 5 on April 28, 2020 with expiration of those terms to be April 2024 to provide for runoff elections if required, and to provide that all elected officials be sworn into office at 6:30 PM on the first Thursday following the election or at any other time as designated by resolution of the Town Council.